2 sticks of softened butter, plus a little extra for greasing
1 cup of sugar
2 cups ground almonds
3/4 cup polenta
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of fine sea salt
1 lemon's zest
1 tbs. lemon juice
1 tbs. vinilla extract
1 heaping tbs. minced fresh rosemary
1/4 cup chestnuts, finely chopped and coated with a sprinkle of sugar
powdered sugar for serving
- Grease a 8 by 8 inch springform pan with butter, set aside. Preheat an oven to 350.
- In a mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until light and pale.
- In a separate bowl mix together the ground almonds, polenta, baking powder and salt. Beat some of this mixture into the butter-sugar mixture, followed by 1 egg, then alternate dry ingredients and eggs, beating all the while.
- Next beat in the lemon zest, juice and vinilla. When this is fully incorporated add the rosemary and chestnuts to the mixture.
- Poor the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the edges of the cake start to pull away from the pan, the cake is a nice golden-brown color and an inserted toothpick comes out cleanish.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Then remove it gently from the pan and place on a wired rack in order to cool it completely. Once it is cooled sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
I served this with a rosemary-cardamom crème anglaise. You could also serve this with whipped cream or leave it as is!
Happy Eatings xxx